Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In-class listening exercise

Although the two spots I chose were quite different, a lot of the sounds I heard were actually quite similar. My first location was an interior space that was unfamiliar to me- the sanctuary of the Elon Community Church. I was expecting the experience to be very peaceful and restful but because of construction outside, it was difficult to stay present. Everything echoed and sounded powerful and important. Every few minutes a banging/scraping came from above the altar and I could hear beeping from vehicles outside the window. I opened my eyes a few times because I got startled by a noise...it was almost creepy being in there alone.

My second location was an exterior space with which I was familiar. When I go running, I almost always have to stop at the crosswalk by the Kangaroo, the corner with the big, brick 'Elon University' sign surrounded by flowers. I sat in the grass by the corner and heard a lot of the same construction noises that I heard earlier...much harder for me to pay attention at this spot, probably because it was so busy and it was technically my third location. (The first being at Arts West). I heard a squirrel shaking the branches in a tree above me which made me feel awfully nervous...half-expected a little creature to land in my lap.

Also heard:
-Car doors slamming
-Occasional snapping of twigs
-Backing up of construction equipment
-Bits and pieces of conversations
-Rumble of car engines
-Breeze shaking trees and grass

No comments:

Post a Comment